Friday, 27 March 2015

Your ruleset via a powerpoint presentation

This is the challenge.

Can you write the rules of a game on a series of powerpoint slides that guide the player through a game's order of play and give them all the relevant rules for each phase?

I have just seen a demonstration of this by a friend. And it blew me away.

Paul was teaching a class of 16 nine-year olds, with the help of one teaching assistant. He wanted to get them to play a game about being an ancient Briton facing the Roman invasion in AD 43. They had not started lessons about this period, and had previously done something about the Ancient Greeks. Paul's game was to give them an exciting introduction into the world of the Ancient Briton, to launch them into learning formally about it.

His solution was to use a powerpoint presentation. The first few slides had pictures of Ancient Britons, a map, giving the tribal names and locations, some pictures and descriptions of their technology, their buildings etc. After this there came a set of slides that introduced the rules. He ran through these slides and played a demonstration turn on a game board in front of all the class. At the end of the presentation he sent them into their groups to their tables with their game boards, clicked a link and went back to the slide giving the rules for the first game phase.

And off they went.

What a great idea. Great for teaching a game to young players. Great for teaching players not willing to read the rule book, and an excellent way to remind the players which phase they were on, what they had to do and what rules applied.

I'm sold on this.

I think this could work for any age group.

I will design a game using this format and report back.


2 comments:

  1. You may not recall, but I used to do this for my Narvik naval game. I wanted to compare the performance of teams of players from different circumstances and needed them all to have the "same" introduction to the game and the rules. It has served me very well over many many years.
    I also recall your excellent description of that game being an exploration of a cave with monsters waiting to pounce on the unsuspecting heroes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan,

    You are correct, I had forgotten you had used powerpoint intro for you Narvik game. I must have had some residual memory of what a great method it was.

    I am now intending to run a game about Medieval Farming and intend to introduce the rules using powerpoint and the game board. I also will use the powerpoint slides to then drive the turn of play throughout the game.

    ReplyDelete